Points on the Characteristics of Water transport are discussed below. Water transport is the oldest and the cheapest mode of transport. The water transportation is very important for travel and the transportation of goods across the sea. Also check out advantages of water transport along with disadvantages of water transportation.
Characteristics of Water Transport are :
- Sea transport is cheaper and slow
- Sea transportation connects land which is separated by water
- Water transport is suitable for transporting low value and high volume commodities
- Water transportation is suitable for bulk goods and low prices goods such as coal , oil , wood etc.,
- It depends on geography, rivers and channel network
- Generally in water transport the distances are longer
- Long transit times and slow transport
- Water transport depends on seasonal and climate condition such as fog, water level, ice etc.,
- Bad for perishable and time sensitive goods
- Very few accidents in water transport
- Generally less expensive compared to other mode of transportation
- It has high fixed cost but low variable cost
- Also check it out Advantages & disadvantages of water transport to know more about it.