The Advantages and Disadvantages of Mesh Topology are as follows. So let us check it out some advantages and disadvantages to know more about mesh topology. In mesh topology all nodes connect directly with each other and cooperate to distribute data amongst each other. Mesh topology can be used for smart HVAC control, home automation and smart buildings.
Advantages of Mesh Topology are:
- In mesh topology expansion of nodes is easy and possible.
- Easy to find out faults and the maintenance is easier.
- If one of the nodes get damaged then other hierarchical networks are not affected.
- The performance is not affected with heavy load of data transmission.
- In mesh topology the data privacy and security is ensured because every message travels along a dedicated link.
- Mesh topology has multiple links so if one route is damaged or blocked then other routes can be used for data transmission.
- Mesh topology is robust.
- Centralized management is not required as in star topology.
- Communication is not disrupted.
Disadvantages of Mesh Topology are:
- In mesh topology it becomes difficult to manage if the network becomes extremely large.
- A lot of maintenance is needed in mesh topology.
- Huge cabeling is needed in mesh topology.
- The entire segment goes down if the backbone line breakes.
- It is difficult to install.
- Because of large number of cablings and other parts, mesh topology becomes very expensive.
Other types of topology can be tree topology, start topology, ring topology, hybrid topology, network topology, point to point topology and fully connected topology.