Some of the characteristics of pesticides are as follows. Also check out some information on advantages and disadvantages to know more about pesticides.
Some characteristics of an ideal pesticides are :
- Pesticides affects only target pests
- They should not harm other species
- They should break down quickly in the environment
- Pesticies should be cost effective
- Easy to handle and apply
- They should not be toxic to warm blodded animals
- Pesticides should not be inflammable or explosive
- They should be able to remain present and active for a long period
- They should provide long term pest control
What are the advantages of pesticides?
- Pesticides are cost effective, they are inexpensive to buy and produce good results whithour costing lots of money.
- Pesticides protects standing crops from pests and other harmful insects.
- It helps to increase the yield and productivity of crops.
- It works better and faster than other alternatives to protect crops.
What are the disadvantages of pesticides?
- Sometimes pesticides may also kill natural enemies of pests such as predators and parasites.
- Pesticides promotes genetic resistance
- Pesticides can harm wildlife and people
- Pesticides can contaminates ground water