What happens in Chromatography? Let us check it out how chromatography works and what is the principle behind chromatography. Principle of chromatography is given below.
- Chromatography is a method or technique used to separate or isolate different constituents of a solution mixture.
- Chromatography separates unknown sample from a give mixture.
- Compound which is to be separated is passed through chromatography column along with the mobile phase.
- There is stationary phase in the chromatography column.
- Now the molecules of given compouds interacts (adsorb) with the stationary phase.
- Molecules which have strong interaction will separate slower and molecules with weak interaction will move fast.
- The molecules of given compound must have solubility properties with the mobile phase.
- Finally molecules are detected at the detector and hence unknown molecule can be identified.