What happens in Paper Chromatography? - Let us see the principle of paper chromatography, How does Paper Chromatography works. Principle of paper chromatography is given below.
- Paper chromatography is used to separate coloured chemicals.
- Paper chromatography is used to separate organic as well as inorganic compounds.
- Mobile phase and stationary phase are present in paper chromatography.
- Solid or liquid supported on solid is stationary phase.
- Mobile phase may be liquid or a gas.
- The mobile phase flows on the stationary phase and carries the component mixture with it.
- Different components travel at different rates.
- Rf value is calculated and the given unknown component is identified.
- Paper chromatography is useful in Biochemicals, Determination of hormones, Drugs etc.
Related article : Advantages & Disadvantages of Paper Chromatography