Some of the Advantages and Disadvantages of Pesticides are as follows. So let us check it out some information on advantages and disadvantages to know more about pesticides. Different types of pesticides are available such as herbicides, insecticide, fungicide, nematocide etc., are available in the market.
Advantages of Pesticides
- Cost Effectiveness : Pesticides are inexpensive to buy and producing good results without costing a lot of money.
- Crop protection : They are used to protect standing crops in the field from pests and other harmful insects.
- Control pests : It can also be used to control household pest. They are also used to control pest such as rodents, insects etc., causing damage to various animals, books, stored foods, wooden articles etc.,
- Greater yields : It helps in increasing the yield and productivity of crop plants in the field by controlling pests population.
- Effective and rapid : Pesticides works better and faster than other alternatives.
- Increase food supplies : Pesticides helps to reduce food losses and ensures adequate food supply and increases food production.
- Flexibility : The method of using pesticides is easy and flexible to use.
- Used to kill weeds : Pesticides are also used to kill unwanted plants or weeds which is grown in the field.
- Prevention of Problems and disease : Pesticides can also be used in various public health programmes for controlling the growth of mosquitoes which may cause yellow fever or malaria. It is also used to kill houseflies, cockroaches, lice, poisonous insects to prevent disease caused by it.
- Protects Food : Pesticides are also used to protect food grains which is stored in godowns.
- Save human lives : Pesticides helps to contribute and enhance human health by controlling the disease spread by rodents and insects.
Disadvantages of Pesticides
- Reduction of beneficial species : The chemicals used in pesticides are slightly harmful and kills beneficial species of interest and reduces their population.
- Residues in foods : When pesticides are applied to food crops , residues of pesticides may remain on or in food and may be harmful to the body if it is availabel in higher level.
- Kill natural pest enemies : Sometimes pesticides may also eleminates natural enemies of pests such as predators and parasites, leads to increase in population of pests.
- Resistance : Promotes genetic resistance.
- Poisoning hazards : The pesticides used are hazardous and poisonous which may have toxic effect on infants, childrens and adults if they comes in contact with the body.
- Ground water Contamination : Pesticeds can easily enter in soil, rivers, and lakes and contaminates the ground water.
- Drift of sprays and Vapour : It can drift outside of the area of where was sprayed.
- Pollutes the environment : The chemicals used in pesticides may released in air, water and soil easily and pollutes the environment.
- Pesticides can harm wildlife and people.
- Sometimes pesticides may harm different types of organisms which are not pests.
- Some pesticides are persistant.
- Pesticides may accumulate and enter in food chain
- Health risks to both human as well as animals.